The IIA Section offers a range of specific tools to foster the capacity of beneficiary countries' policymakers and other IIA stakeholders to negotiate sustainable-development friendly IIAs. Technical assistance activities are tailor-made and demand-driven, provided upon request of countries or regional organizations.
- National or regional training sessions for IIA negotiators
- Sensitization seminars on foreign investment and IIAs for IIA stakeholders
- Ad-hoc expert advice (advisory services) on key issues in IIAs
More than 168 countries have benefited from UNCTAD's technical assistance since 2008:
- 132 developing countries
(38 of which are least developed countries)
- 14 economies in transition
- 36 developed countries
The IIA Section also contributes to technical assistance activities carried out by the Division, such as Investment Policy Reviews.
It also cooperates with other inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations (e.g. APEC, IISD, ISDB, SADC, WHO).
- Government officials
- Civil society organizations
Mr. Hamed El-Kady
T.: +41 22 917 2135