UNCTAD provides capacity-building and technical assistance to developing countries and economies in transition, which seek to formulate and implement competition law and policy.
The objective of the capacity-building and technical cooperation activities is to assist developing countries and economies in transition in the following areas:
- Formulating new or strengthening existing competition legislation, which fits their specific legal and economic structure and can best address their development needs
- Establishing new or strengthening existing competition institutions
- Capacity-building for better enforcement of competition law
- Promoting a competition culture through competition advocacy activities
- Conducting Voluntary Peer Reviews of Competition Law and Policy
To achieve these objectives, UNCTAD works closely with competition authorities in developed countries, development partners, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the International Competition Network (ICN) and competition experts.