Town Hall Meeting on Entrepreneurship and Migration
15 November 2016
16:00-18:00 hrs., Room VII of the Palais de Nations
On the occasion of the Global Entrepreneurship Week, UNCTAD and UNDP, in collaboration with WIPO, the International Organization for Migration and the Mission of the United States of America will host two panel discussions to hear direct testimonials from practitioners, policymakers and entrepreneurs on the following questions:
How can the diaspora be leveraged to invest in sustainable development and promote entrepreneurship in home country?
The first panel will highlight how to create an enabling ecosystem to maximize the impact of diaspora investment for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and more specifically how remittances can become a source of self-employment and productive investment.
How can entrepreneurship become a source of economic empowerment and selfemployment for (return) migrants, refugees and displaced people?
The second panel will illustrate how entrepreneurship can contribute to peace and prosperity in fragile and post-conflict countries, by empowering (returning) migrants, refugees and displaced people through newly acquired skills, knowledge and networks.
Opening: Mr. Joakim Reiter, Deputy Secretary General, UNCTAD
Panel 1: Leveraging highly-skilled mobility and diaspora to promote entrepreneurship for sustainable development
- Mr. Ernest Miguelez, CNRS Chargé de Recherche, CNRS & GREThA-Université de Bordeaux
- Ms. Audrey Selian, Director, Riant Capital, Zürich
- Ms. Solène Movrant-Roux, Assistant Professor, University of Geneva
- Mr. David Svab, Programme Officer, Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Development. UNDP Kosovo
Moderator: Ms. Laura Thompson, Deputy Director General of the International Organization for Migration
Panel 2: Creating economic opportunities and boost entrepreneurship among displaced people
- Ms. Manome, Minako, UNDP programme officer, Jordan
- Ms. Maria Elo, Dr., Research Fellow, University of Turku, Institute of Migration, Turku School of Economics Finland
- Mr. Nayef Stetieh, UNCTAD/Empretec Director, BDC Jordan
- Mr. Xavier Vollenweider, Economist, Flowminder
- Ms. Giselle Schellekens, Programme Development Officer, Spark, the Netherlands
Moderator: Mr. Yannick du Pont, Director, Spark, the Netherlands
|Language(s):||English; English; |