UNRISD-UNCTAD Seminar: Green Urbanization in Asia: Paradox or Win-Win Scenario ?
04 June 2013
Room B-135, Palais des Nations
Unprecedented urban growth in Asia brings with it major environmental challenges, but could it also be part of the solution?
Guanghua Wan will explore the environment-urbanization nexus in Asia and argue that the mechanisms of urbanization can also be positive forces in the drive for environmentally sustainable development. His presentation will draw on “Green Urbanization in Asia”, the special chapter leading the ADB’s Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2012 report, for which Dr. Wan was the lead author.
- Guanghua Wan, Principal Economist, Asian Development Bank. Prior to his appointment at the ADB he was Senior Economist at The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER).
Dr. Wan is a leading scholar on the Chinese economy and an expert on Asia specializing in development economics and econometrics.
- Claudia Assmann, Programme Officer, Economics and Trade Branch, Division of Technology, Industry and Economics, UNEP. She specializes in green economy financing/investment and South-South cooperation in the framework of a green economy.
- Taffere Tesfachew, Director Africa, Least Developed Countries and Special Programmes - UNCTAD
- Jenifer Freedman, Head of Communications and Outreach - UNRISD
- David A. Chikvaidze, Chief Librarian - UNOG