The Division focuses on the poorest and most vulnerable developing countries in the world. Specifically, it aims to increase understanding of the development problems of Africa and the Least Developed Countries (LDCs), as well as countries with specific geographical impediments, notably Landlocked Developing Countries (LLDCs) and Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
The Division proposes policies for actions to support inclusive and sustainable development.
- Undertake targeted policy-focused analysis
- Provide innovative policy options
- Deliver tailor-made technical assistance, including through the Enhanced Integrated Framework (EIF)
- Support intergovernmental consensus building
- Coordinate the work of UNCTAD on countries covered by the Division
- Represent UNCTAD at the Regional Coordination Mechanism for Africa (RCM-Africa)
Over 90 developing countries fall under the Division's areas of work.