This conference brings together key stakeholders in the public and private sectors from East Africa and beyond to:
- Exchange experiences and updates on happenings since the last East African Organic Conference in April 2009
- Strategize on the way forward in East Africa and Africa as a whole.
The conference is a manifestation of the global partnership for the promotion of organic agriculture in the region and the continent. It is being jointly organized by the:
- UNEP-UNCTAD Capacity Building Task Force on Trade, Environment and Development (CBTFo Kenyan Organic Agriculture Network (KOAN)
- Kenyan Ministry of Agriculture
In cooperation with
- International Trade Centre (UNCTAD/WTO)
- International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM)
- African Union Commission
This is the final event of the UNEP-UNCTAD CBTF project on organic agriculture in East Africa generously supported by the Government of Austria.
Participants will include key actors from the organic agriculture movements and Governments of the five members of the East African Community (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, and the United Republic of Tanzania) plus Ethiopia and well as members of the international support team including the UNEP-UNCTAD CBTF, ITC. IFOAM, the Government of Austria and African Union Commission. The chair of the organizing committee of the African Organic Conference 2012 in Zambia is also joining.
The regional conference is organized back-to-back with the first national consultation on the Kenyan organic agriculture policy on 1 December, also supported by the UNEP-UNCTAD CBTF.