The UNCTAD Headquarters Internship Programme is offered to students enrolled in graduate school, with a view to promoting a better understanding of trade and development issues and giving them insight into how UNCTAD attempts to find solutions to these problems. The programme can take place any time during the year for a minimum of two months and for a maximum of six. As UNCTAD has no provision in its budget to pay interns, all costs connected with internships must be borne by the students concerned or by their sponsoring institutions or Governments.
How to Apply?
Before submitting an application to UNCTAD, please ensure that you meet the qualifications and requirements for the internship. Please note that to be eligible for the Internship Programme of UNCTAD, you must meet one of the following three requirements:
- You are a graduate or postgraduate student at the time of application and during the internship.
- You are an undergraduate degree holder, provided that you are enrolled in a graduate or postgraduate degree programme at the time of application and during the internship.
- If you are pursuing a degree in a country where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages, you have completed at least four years of full-time studies towards completion of your degree.
In order to enable us to better evaluate your interest, please print and fill in the Internship Application Form and return it to us at least three (3) months prior to the proposed starting date of the internship.
Follow the instructions carefully and answer all questions completely. Please note that Part II of the application form has to be completed, signed and stamped by the sponsoring/nominating institution/organization. Read the conditions governing the Internship Programme of UNCTAD. You may include your curriculum vitae with your application package. Be sure to enclose all required documents so that we can process your application:
- Part I accurately completed
- Part II completed and stamped by a sponsoring/nominating institution or organization
- Conditions Governing the UNCTAD Internship Programme signed and dated
- A recent photograph
- A copy of a medical certificate of good health
- A copy of a health/accident insurance policy
- A letter of recommendation from a sponsoring/nominating institution or organization
Send your application by post. Please note that we do not accept applications by fax or by e-mail. Should your application be incomplete, we may not be in a position to grant you an internship.
Internship Programme of UNCTAD
Human Resources Management Section
Resources Management Service
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
Palais des Nations
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Once we receive your application form and the required documents we will circulate it among the Divisions and Services of UNCTAD. We regret that we will be unable to personally respond to those applicants who are not selected for internship due to the large number of requests we receive. If you have not heard from us one month before the date proposed on your application form, you should assume that we have been unable to match your skills and areas of interest with the work of our project teams and we have therefore been unable to accommodate you as an intern.