The Information Economy Report 2012: The Software Industry and Developing Countries is the seventh in the flagship series published by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
In the 2012 edition, special attention is given to the role of software capabilities in accelerating progress towards a more inclusive information society.
Key issues covered include:
- The link between software capabilities and development
- Global and regional trends in production, spending, trade, investment, venture capital and employment in the software sector
- The evolving ICT landscape and its impact on software production patterns
- Trends and implications related to free and open source software (FOSS)
- An analysis of the market orientation of software production in developing countries
- Country case studies
- Policy recommendations on how governments and their development partners can better leverage software for development and strengthen national software systems