Policy analysis and Technical Cooperation:
- The Programme staff monitor new developments in the area of insurance with special emphasis on their development implications for Programme clients in developing and transition countries. To date, the Programme has published more than 125 publications on various insurance matters including accident, fire, motor, life, agriculture, marine and others. It has elaborated the modern Marine Insurance Contract and Policy Clauses, now used universally by all insurers the world over;
- The Insurance Programme team of resident staff and consulting experts provides targeted policy advice and assistance to countries to update their national policies and insurance legislation in line with international best practices and tailored to domestic conditions. To date this assistance was extended to more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean;
- The Programme can help UNCTAD member States with their WTO GATS financial services negotiations;
- Finally, the Insurance Programme team can organize custom-made training and educational activities for government officials in insurance supervisory or regulatory functions and private sector insurers on various insurance topics, placing emphasis on special issues faced by developing and transition countries.
- In order to promote consensus-building on insurance matters, the Programme actively participates in intergovernmental meetings at the regional and international levels, and collaborates with international, multilateral and regional organisations in developing and transition countries.