The UN Set is a multilateral agreement on competition policy that (i) provides a set of equitable rules for the control of anti-competitive practices; (ii) recognises the development dimension of competition law and policy; and (iii) provides a framework for international operation and exchange of best practices.
Every five years, a conference is held to review the UN Set, providing an occasion for heads of competition authorities and senior officials from both developed and developing countries, including least developed countries (LDCs) and economies in transition, to establish direct contacts and promote voluntary cooperation and the exchange of best practices.
Seventh Review Conference will focus on the following topics:
- Ways and means to strengthen competition agencies in order to strengthen competition law enforcement and advocacy.
- International Cooperation on Merger cases as a tool for effective enforcement of competition law.
- The role of competition policy in promoting sustainable and inclusive growth.
- The Benefits and the Role of Competition for Consumers in the Pharmaceutical Sector.
- Feedback from recently peer-reviewed countries with competition agencies on enforcement and changes since the peer reviews.
- Voluntary Peer Reviews of Competition Law and Policy of Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Albania.
The Conference will also hold an updated review of capacity-building and technical assistance, taking into account information to be received from member States no later than 30 May 2015:
- A further revised and updated version of the Model Law on Competition.
- Further issues of the Handbook on Competition Legislation containing commentaries on national competition legislation in the form of a CD-ROM.
The Review Conference will be followed by the 6th Meeting of the UNCTAD Research Partnership Platform on Friday 10 July 2015. Since there are limited number of places for the RPP meeting, delegates or observers who wish to take part in this event are kindly requested to inform Graham Mott by 30 May 2015 ([email protected] or + 41 22 917 45 73).
In order to facilitate the deliberations and the informal exchange of experiences and best practices on the topics to be discussed, member States and observers are requested to submit written contributions to the UNCTAD secretariat by 2 June 2015, to allow participants to prepare themselves for the consultations.
Information for participants
In order to register for the event, participants should use the link at the top of the page.
Participants at the meeting need bring copiers of their registration forms in order to collect their badge at the United Nations Security Service, Pregny Gate (opposite the Red Cross Building) before the meeting.
The Security Service is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participants are strongly advised to arrive before 8.30 a.m. Participants are requested to carry a passport or a national identity card with them.
For information regarding hotels and accommodation for the meeting, please see: http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/
There is some issue in accessing document path, Please contact to Site Admin
Intergovernmental Support Service
Palais des Nations
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Fax: 41 22 917 0214
E-mail: [email protected]