Understanding the impacts of the COVID-19 disruption on maritime transport, response measures adopted and overall implications for the sector is key given the role of maritime transport as the backbone underpinning global supply chains, trade, and economic interdependency. Any disruption to global maritime transportation networks can have far-reaching implications for a highly globalized world economy. The restrictions introduced in response to the pandemic have caused disruptions affecting ports, shipping, and supply chains. In this context, assessing impacts, managing risks, and building resilience in maritime transport are the new mantras of a post COVID-19 world.
Organized in collaboration with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Africa (UN-ECA) and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UN-ESCWA), the webinar aims at:
- Raising awareness, among policy makers and industry players, about COVID-19 impacts, responses and good practices in crises management and resilience building.
- Improving understanding of the COVID-19 impacts on the region's maritime transport system.
- Identifying relevant response measures taken to mitigate impacts and ascertaining potential good practices allowing for effective crises management and business continuity.
- Gathering input from participating stakeholders with a view to guidance material and tools that will be developed by UNCTAD in support sustainability and resilience building efforts.
The webinar is the third in a series of online regional capacity building activities carried out by UNCTAD under the maritime transport component of the UNDA project named "Transport and trade connectivity in the age of pandemics: Contactless, seamless, and collaborative UN solutions". It draws upon the main findings of the updated UNCTAD’s assessment contained in the “COVID-19 and Maritime Transport: Impact and Responses”.
Key activities carried out by UNCTAD under this project include:
- Research and extensive data compilation and analysis to help assess the impact of the COVID-19 disruption on the global and regional maritime transportation systems.
- Analysis and identification of relevant response measures introduced by varied stakeholders in the face of the COVID-19 disruption.
- Identification of good practices that allowed for effective management of the crisis and maintaining business continuity in the maritime supply chain.
- Development of guidance material and training to build capacity and upgrade skills with a view to maritime supply chain resilience-building.
UN-ECA and UN-ESCWA have been carrying out a number of activities at the regional level to evaluate the specific challenges and impacts, as well as to strengthen regional and sectoral collaboration in the crisis response and recovery policies.
To participate in the webinar please contact the Transport Section of UNCTAD by email at: email@example.com
There is some issue in accessing document path, Please contact to Site Admin
TopicTransport, logistics and trade facilitation
- Webinar on COVID-19 and maritime transport: Disruptions and resilience in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Webinar on COVID-19 and maritime transport: Disruption and resilience in Asia