Each year, this intergovernmental group of experts meets to discuss ways of improving worldwide cooperation on competition policy implementation and enhancing convergence through dialogue.
The United Nations Set of Principles on Competition provides the basis for intergovernmental consultations.
Consultations at the twenty-first session of the Intergovernmental Group of Experts on Competition Law and Policy will focus on the following topics:
- Report on the implementation of the guiding policies and procedures under section F of the Set of Multilaterally Agreed Equitable Principles and Rules for the Control of Restrictive Business Practices.
- Report of the working group on cross-border cartels.
- Competition law enforcement issues raised by monopsonies.
- Interaction between competition and industrial policies.
- Competition law and policy and sustainability.
- Voluntary peer review of competition law and policy: Paraguay.
- Review of capacity-building in and technical assistance on competition law and policy.
- Provisional agenda of the twenty-second session of the Intergovernmental Group of Experts on Competition Law and Policy.
- Adoption of the report of the twenty-first session of the Intergovernmental Group of Experts on Competition Law and Policy.
In order to facilitate the deliberations and the informal exchange of experiences and best practices on the topics to be discussed, member States and observers are requested to submit written contributions to the UNCTAD secretariat by Friday, 2 June 2023, to allow participants to prepare themselves for the meeting.
Participation and Registration
This meeting is open to all member States of UNCTAD. Other organizations, including specialized agencies, intergovernmental bodies and non-governmental organizations in the general category may participate as observers.
Online registration is mandatory for all those wishing to attend the meeting and is required for inclusion in the list of participants.
The session will be held with physical participation, at the Palais des Nations, and remote participation, through a simultaneous interpretation platform in the six official languages of the United Nations.
TopicCompetition and consumer protection
- Intergovernmental Group of Experts on Consumer Protection Law and Policy, seventh session
- Fourteenth Meeting of the UNCTAD Research Partnership Platform
Communications concerning representation:
Intergovernmental Support Service
Palais des Nations
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Fax: 41 22 917 0214
Substantive and other inquiries:
Competition Law and Policy and Consumer Protection Branch
T.: + 41 22 917 18 78