The session will open at 10 a.m. on Monday, 18 July, in Room XVII of the Palais des Nations. Remote participation will also be available.
In line with the agreed conclusions adopted by the Intergovernmental Group of Experts on Consumer Protection Law and Policy at its fifth session the deliberations at the sixth session will focus on the following topics:
- Report on the implementation of the United Nations guidelines for consumer protection by member States and relevant stakeholders
- Latest developments in legal and institutional frameworks: UNCTAD world consumer protection map
- Reports of the working groups on:
- Consumer product safety
- Consumer protection in electronic commerce
- Modalities of UNCTAD voluntary peer reviews of competition and consumer protection laws and policies
- Modalities for the implementation of the recommendation on preventing the cross-border distribution of known unsafe consumer products
- Financial consumer protection, including financial education and literacy
- Consumer protection in the provision of health services
- Voluntary peer review of consumer protection law and policy: Thailand
- Review of capacity-building in and technical assistance on consumer protection law and policy
In order to facilitate the deliberations and the informal exchange of experiences and best practices on the topics to be discussed, member States and observers are requested to submit written contributions to Jacqueline.firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 24 June 2022, to allow participants to prepare themselves for the meeting.
Participation and registration
This meeting is open to all member States of UNCTAD. Other organizations, including specialized agencies, intergovernmental bodies and non-governmental organizations in the general category, may participate as observers.
Online registration is mandatory for all those wishing to attend the meeting and is required for inclusion in the list of participants.
A link to the formal virtual meeting will be sent to registered participants, at the email address used for registration, one day in advance of the start of the session.
TopicCompetition and consumer protection
- Intergovernmental Group of Experts on Competition Law and Policy, twentieth session
- Thirteenth Meeting of the UNCTAD Research Partnership Platform
Communications concerning representation:
Intergovernmental Support Service
Palais des Nations
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Fax: 41 22 917 0214
Substantive and other inquiries:
Competition Law and Policy and Consumer Protection Branch
T.: + 41 22 917 18 78